Homecoming unifies student body

Student council a place for friends, family

Bright lights and late nights.  Laughter and purple poms. Hallway decorating and hours of preparation.  These are just a few of the factors that go into planning homecoming each year.

The week is an exciting time for students to stand united and to show off their personalities and meet new people.  Homecoming is a place for students to see the fun side of school and create unforgettable memories.  But most importantly, it’s a time for students to become aware of each other and see what school spirit really means.

Homecoming is something that was created for the student body to meet each other and discover that school can be a fun environment to be in.  According to Student Activities Manager Angel Santa Cruz, the Student Council and their Executive Board work extremely hard each year to make homecoming happen.

One such student is Senior Dana Marquez. Marquez is a general member of the council and has been helping to create decorations for the senior class on weekends and during the week. For Marquez, all her hard work culminates in being able to get gussied up for the dance.

“Getting ready for and showing up to the dance is my favorite part of homecoming, Marquez said. “And of course seeing all my friends.”

Each year students across all grade levels collaborate in hopes that the rest of the student body will be willing to join in on homecoming festivities.  This years theme is Dancing Through the Decades. While participating in these events may seem dumb or weird, sometimes dumb and weird can be fun.

“Yeah maybe it’s dumb, but this is fun.  And just because you feel dumb doesn’t mean other people are judging you,” Santa Cruz said. “It builds confidence and it makes you – I think – a more well rounded person.”

While a lot of the student body gathers to join in on the homecoming fun, a lot of students also decide to opt out of these festivities.

For Senior Brianna Sano, she’s undecided about attending the dance but will attend other homecoming festivities.

“The ticket prices are expensive, they’re similar to the prom prices,” Sano said. “That’s kinda messed up. It’s almost not worth it.”

Freshman Annette Galvan shares Sano’s sentiment about ticket prices. She is opting out of the dance.

“I don’t think it needs to cost that much,” Galvan said. “It’s just a dance for a few hours and that’s basically it.”

According to Santa Cruz about 1100 students showed up to last years HoCo Pixar Dance, about 20-25% of students will dress up on an easy dress up day and there are a good chunk of students that participate in and watch the parade.

Homecoming is organized and planned in a way so that it is inclusive to every student.  All clubs and teams are invited to be in the parade, time is scheduled during the class day to allow students to attend the pep rally and the game and dance are a way for Cougars to hang out and have fun together.

According to Santa Cruz the week was designed so that everyone can be involved in some way, shape or form.  The theme is universal, accessible, and broad to make it easier for every student to participate.

“We try to make it more accessible. When we think of the theme or the days we try to make it more broad, so that everyone can join in,” Santa Cruz said.

The overall homecoming experience can help students feel happier at Franklin, learn that being at school doesn’t have to be a bad thing, and learn the true importance and meaning of school spirit. New students can also use homecoming as a way to grow closer to other students and feel more welcomed at FHS.

For Sophomore Leo Manzo, joining student council this year was a way for him to find a niche at Franklin.

“Last year, it was hard for me to fit in,” Manzo said. “I was going through a rough time last year, this year I’m feeling a little better and I think it’s a good time to help out.

Manzo has been helping out with hallway decorations since the beginning of the year. He enjoys spending time with classmates.

“Everyone is chill,” Manzo said. “Santa Cruz is chill.”

Student Council started planning HoCo months before school started.

Senior Class President Lauren Menchaca has worked tirelessly to make homecoming successful for her class.

“I pretty much work at the school.  I’m here at least 40 hours a week,” Menchaca said.  “Decorating is pretty stressful but at the end of the day it’s worth it because of the final result.

Menchaca has built lifelong friendships in the StuCo room and encourages any student who might be interested to just pop in.

“Come join us, because we’re open. We’re here to have fun,” Menchaca said. “If you are scared just come into Student Activities, meet us and you’ll be more willing to come in later.”

Homecoming tickets can be purchased for $45 during the week, prices will rise at the door to $50. The parade will begin at 6 p.m. and will leave from the magnet campus. It will travel up Westwind, take a right on Belvidere and a right on N. Resler.